|1880||Fr.Louis Verdier, S.J. starts the St.Francis Xavier’s High School. A cross-shaped building now used as the Teacher’s Room is put up for conducting the new classes.|
|1884||First set is sent up for the Matriculation Examination.|
|1898||School is given Permanent recognition by the Director of Public InstructiThe first Prize Distribution Day is held in our school with Mr.J.W.F.Dumergue, the District Judge as president.|
|1899||In the Catholic Boarding House there are 60 boys under the special direction and control of the District Superior.|
|1903||A hostel is started with 10 boys.|
|1905||Till 1905 the school worked on all six days in the week, with six periods daily, each lasting an hour. On Saturday there were three hours in the morning. The afternoon was the weekly half holiday.|
|1906||Saturday is a full holiday till the First Term. In the Second Term Saturday holiday is changed to Wednesday. Moreover the daily six hours of class are reduced to six periods of fifty-five minutes each. Rev.Fr.C.C.Saldanha,S.J. (the first priest) takes over as headmaster from Mr.A.C.M.Appaswami pillai.|
|1907||The Branch Middle School is amalgamated into the high school. Jesuit scholastics are introduced into the school for teaching and prefecting work.|
|1909||The last set appears for the Matriculation Examination. Till now academic year coincided with calendar year. The school is going to switch over to the S.S.L.C. scheme from next year. Hence for classes lower to the sixth form, school year instead of closing in December 1909 is extended to March – April 1910. The annual vacation hereafter will be in April – May.|
|1910||Duration of periods is reduced from 55 minutes to 50 minutes. Hence class-time is five hours. On 1.7.1910 fee collection by installment system is begun. There is no one from our school appearing for the Matriculation Examination in December 1910. Instead sixth form pupils will appear for the S.S.L.C. examination in March, 1911.|
|1910-11||27.3.1911 to 4.4.1911 – first S.S.L.C examination.|
|1912-13||19.6.1912 St.Anton’s Primary School is amalgamated with St.Xavier’s High School. On12.4.1913 Fr.Casimir Saldanha headmaster here, went to Satankulam on 6.4.13 for supervision of the Girls School. He died there on 12.4.1913.|
|1913-14||Fr. A.Lebeau, S.J. takes charge as manager and headmaster.|
|1914-15||Mr.P.S.Muthu Pillai, our Mathematics teacher is appointed Honorary Magistrate.|
|1915-16||Princess Henriette, Duchess of Vendome, Belgium accepts with thanks our boys’ contribution of Rs.100/- sent to war-ravaged Belgium by our headmaster.
From this year for the next four years books are not given as prizes. Instead tokens – a certificate – of merit are given. The token is designed by Fr.Anglade, S.J. From this token originates our school emblem some twenty four years afterwards. On 28,January 1916, the foundation stone of the main building is blessed and laid by the Rt.Rev.Dr. A. Faisandier,S.J.
|1917-18||19.6.17 The new high school building is blessed and inaugurated for school use. On 27th June 1917 , Prize books were not given this year also. Instead tokens of merit signed by Lord Pentland, the Governor of Madras are given to the boys. The money that would have been spent for buying the prize books is given as donation for the hospitalship ‘MADRAS’.|
|1918-19||Fr.J.P.Leonard,S.J. who worked here as teacher for the past three years leaves for his Theological studies at Kurseong. On 31st October 1918 the Papal Delegate, The Most Reverend Peter Fumasoni Biondi is accorded a warm reception. On 21st April,1919 Rev.Fr.Arendt, King Albert’s (Belgium) personal chaplain visits our school. He thanks the staff and students for their sympathy and contribution during the 1914-18 war.|
|1920-21||30.10.20 Lord Willingdon, the Governor of Madras visits our school with his wife. At the reception in our school Fr.Lebeau puts in his oral application for the grounds surrounding the boarding. They must not be taken away by the railway thus hampering the growth of our institution into a college. On 6th December 1920, the Papal Delegate, The Most Reverend Peter Pisani presides over the prize distribution function.|
|1922-23||1.8.22 Inauguration of the newly built hostel (now called the Sacred Heart Hostel)|
|1923-24||Four rooms (2 on the ground floor and 2 on the first floor) on the east and four rooms on the west are added to the main building and the College classes (intermediate) are conducted there.|
|1925-26||The eight rooms occupied by the intermediate classes for the past one year are now at the disposal of the school, because the college now moves to its own building.|
|1931-32||The S.S.L.C. scheme undergoes a change.
As introduced in 1910 a student had to write 5 papers : English, Vernacular Composition, Elementary Mathematics and any two optional.
According to the changed scheme the following are the subjects of examination : English, Tamil, Elementary Mathematics, Elementary Science, Outlines of English and Indian History, One optional.
|1935-36||Fr.J.L.Miranda, S.J. starts school assembly. They are held every Monday after 4.30 p.m.|
|1936-37||Fr.J.L.Miranda starts the League of Honour. The School Flag sky-blue and white – is introduced by him. To encourage the boys in their studies, he introduces the Class Competition system. The winning team is awarded the flag of honour.|
|1938-39||With the assumption of the Rajaji Ministry, instruction through English medium is given up.|
|1941-42||Parallel English medium section is begun again to help boys coming from Ceylon, Singapore and Malaya (war evacuees). School Magazine is published for the first time (October 1941).|
|1942-43||Night Study in school for those who find it difficult to have decent light at home because of scarcity of Kerosine.|
|1949-50||School assembly given up for nine years is revived. It is held on Wednesday morning before the school commences. N.C.C. is introduced.|
|1950-51||S.S.L.C. scheme of 1931 is changed. The subjects that are newly introduced are : General Mathematics, Composite Mathematics, Social Studies, Citizenship Training.|
|1952-53||Fr.R.Sundaram, an old boy of our school is appointed Bishop of Thanjavur.|
|1953-54||For the S.S.L.C Examination there are two parts (three papers) in Tamil from March 1954 General Tamil – 2 Papers, Special Tamil – 1 Paper.|
|1954-55||Dr.Chellappa an old boy of our school is made the C.S.I Church Bishop in Madras.|
|1959-60||15.8.1959 The Church dedicated to Our Lady of Assumption in St.Xavier’s Campus is consecrated by the Rt.Rev.Dr.Agnisamy,S.J., Bishop of Kottar.
The new Reorganised scheme according to which high schools are to be upgraded into Higher Secondary Schools is introduced in June 1959. Form IV is suppressed and the New Eighth Standard is introduced.
|1963-64||1.4.64 Payment of Salary to Staff completely by the Government is introduced.|
|1967-68||S.S.L.C. scheme undergoes a change once more. The former one optional system is revived under the name ‘Electives’ and is introduced in X std. The first set under this scheme sits for the S.S.L.C. Examination in March 1969.|
|1976-77||Electives are suppressed.|
|1977-78||In March 1978 two kinds of S.S.L.C. examinations are held. The last set under the eleven-years S.S.L.C. scheme appears for the S.S.L.C. examination under the name Elongated Course. The first set under the Ten-year S.S.L.C. scheme also takes the S.S.L.C. examination.|
|1978-79|| In June 1978 our high school is upgraded into a Higher Secondary School. Under the 10+2 scheme the first year of the Higher Secondary Course (Std.XI) is started.
Under Academic course students have to choose besides Tamil and English any one group of subjects shown below:
Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology.
Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology.
Accountancy, Commerce, Economics, Mathematics.
Subjects under the vocational course offered here are the following :
Accountancy and Auditing with Economics.
General Machinist Course with Mathematics.
|1980-81|| Centenary year.
In anticipation of the centenary celebrations, competitions in Co-curricular activities at the Inter school level are conducted in the first and second weeks of November. Centenary celebrations are held on 30.11.80, 1.12.80, 2.12.80.
|1982||The state first and second ranks in the S.S.L.C examination were secured by our students in 1982.|
|1983||To develop the extra-curricular activities, Cultural Week celebration with several competitions was introduced.|
|1990||Centum result in S.S.L.C. Alumni Association was started.|
|1996||Loyola Evening study centre was introduced to motivate the educationally backward students. LASAC was introduced in full swing.|
|1998||Computer Education was introduced from VI std onwards.|
|1999||Saldanha Block (Xavier Hall) was built. A new compound wall around the Verdier ground constructed. The biological lab with modern equipments was updated.|
|2004||Aruppe Block (Administrative Block) and New basket ball court came into existence|
|2005||The Post Centenary Silver Jubilee (125 years in the service of Education) was celebrated.|
|2007||Aruppe Inter religious centre was constructed with the help of Alumni Association.|
|2008||State winner in Foot ball tournament. English medium was again re-introduced. The birth of New St.Alphonsa Library near the staff room.|
|2009||Fr.Leveil Centenary Football tournament and Fr.Aruppe Centenary Hockey tournament were inaugurated.|
|2010||Fr.Y.S.Yagoo was honoured with Dr. Radhakrishnan award by the Tamilnadu Government for the efficient service rendered by him.|
|2012||School entrance was widened and beautified with plants and trees with the strenuous efforts of Fr.M.A.Ignacy SJ. Loyola study centre was extended to accommodate higher secondary students along with Xstd students. ELT Fiesta was conducted for the first time in the school.|